Thursday, 8 April 2010

Digipak

I have created four digipak covers for our band, which can be seen below.
Below, I will go in to detail, about why I chose each image, and how they were created.
This image below will be the front cover for the digipak. I found this image on the band's Myspace page, and decided to use it as the front cover, as I wanted both members of the band to be featured on the cover. I also liked this image, as both band members are focussed on the camera, so the audience feel drawn in to the image. Also, the photo was shot in the band's flat, which shows their down-to-earth nature. I think that the colours look quite effective, as it brings out the sun in the picture, and focuses on the band members' faces. The original image can be seen in an earlier post on my blog, but to create this effect, I increased the brightness and contrast and decreased the saturation. To make the image seem more authentic as a cover, I added the band's name, 'I Am One', and the album title, which I named 'I Am Blessed', making the single, 'I Am Blessed, the main track on the album. For this, I used the font, Constantia, which I chose after looking through many different others. I chose this font as I felt it looked quite classy, but also felt in keeping with the band's tastes. The first inside cover can be seen below.
I chose this image from our music video, as I thought the band members look really natural and happy in it, as they didn't know it was being filmed at the time. As we had already edited the shot to be black and white, I didn't want to do anything else to it, as I liked it how it was.
The image below will be used for the second inside image.
I chose this image from our music video, as I thought it kept in with the cultural theme running through the band and our music video. I also think that this shot adds a bit of a humorous edge to the digipak. As we had already edited this shot for our music video, I didn't need to edit the colours. I did try editing the shot to be black and white, to fit in with the other inside shot, but I didn't feel like it looked right. I also decided that I preferred one shot being black and white, with the other coloured.
The shot below will be used as the outside back cover.
For the back cover, I found this picture on Google, and chose it as I thought it was in keeping with the music video, in that the music video is largely set around a council estate. The original shot can be seen below.
To change it for the back cover of my digipak, I put the saturation right down, to make the image black and white. I then increased the intensity and contrast slightly, to give the image that gritty effect, in keeping with the rest of the album, and the band themselves. I wrote 4 of the band's tracks on top of the image, in the same font as I used for the front cover, so that they fitted together well. At first, the words couldn't be seen over the image, so I added a box underneath the writing, and decreased the transparency, so that both the writing and the image could still be seen. I also added a picture of a barcode and a copyright sign, both of which I found on Google, to make the cover seem authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment